Page Memorial already established by Reverend Robert Rucker Page was an inspiration from God to continue to carry out his calling to do God’s Will and to have a place to worship. He started Sunday school in a little house called the Society Hall on East Hill Street, currently known as Lewis Street, in a neighborhood known as “Trimble Bottom,” a muddy, rough and unlighted area. Reverend Page would come from “Rock Town,” said to be a very rough part of Nashville, carrying a lantern and a stick for his protection. He would also have a bag of candy for the children to encourage them to attend Sunday school. During these times, God had moved, no doubt, on his heart to rescue the perishing—those souls that needed Jesus. We can imagine that the beacon light from God above was a lamp unto his feet and a light unto his path. He worked faithfully and untiring. God had given him strength to stand and endure many trials and obstacles. Thus, in 1880, Mt. Gilead Baptist Church became in existence.
In 1881, three deacons were ordained by Reverend Alex Buchanon, making a total of four members, including Reverend Page, as the church. In 1882, there was a great revival held and from this meeting there were four conversions, making it now a total of nine members. The church was still meeting in the Society Hall. As the membership grew, the church relocated to 19 Hart Street, formerly called South Hill Street. In 1928, God called Pastor Page, our founding father, to his heavenly home at the age of 84, a total of 200 remained in the membership. Mother Fannie Page remained faithful until her death in 1969. To this union, one son was born, Robert Joe Page, the first minister called under the pasturage of Reverend F. M. Corder.
In June of 1935, Reverend Frank McKinley Corder was called to pastor Mount Gilead Baptist Church from Wilson County, Lebanon, Tennessee. Pastor Corder was a God-sent, one who showed love and compassion for his fellowman through his meek, humble, and Christ-like spirit. Under the pastorage of Pastor Corder, the church was enlarged, a baptismal pool was added, the sanctuary was given a face life, air conditioners were added, auxiliaries and many choirs and singing groups were formed. The membership started to increase and relocation was considered. A lot was purchased in 1975 on Acklen Avenue. However, Pastor Corder did not live to witness the move. He served Mt. Gilead 40 years and went home to the Lord on January 10, 1976.
In January 1977, Reverend Foster G. Young, who was a member of the church, was called to pastor Mt. Gilead. Ground breaking for the new structure (lot already purchased) was held on May 28, 1978. The new church was completed with the efforts of one of our members, Brother Marion Sowell, an architect. We marched in the new church on the third Sunday, July 20, 1980. Each year as the membership increased and the finances grew, there was an urgent need for more parking. Therefore, a lot was purchased across the street from the church. The membership continued to increase. Under the leadership of Pastor Young, several new ministries were added to the church. On Sunday, July 21, 1992, the 111th Church Anniversary, we experienced the “Mortgage Burning,” service. The debt of the church was paid off in 11 years. Pastor Young believed strongly that everyone should attend Sunday school and Bible study, in addition to worship service and that Bibles should be available for everyone, not just in service, but to carry with them. Although his health began to fail, He continued to pastor and attend church until God called him home on May 26, 2004. Reverend Young served the church for 27 years.
On July 3, 2005, Elder Roderick James Glatt was named as Interim Pastor. On August 25, 2005, he was given a vote of confidence by the Mt. Gilead Missionary Baptist Church to become its new pastor. On October 9, 2005, the service to install him as the pastor of Mt. Gilead was conducted by Elder D. J. Ward of Lexington, Kentucky. Pastor Glatt served this congregation from 2005 to 2014. On April 3, 2016 Pastor Breonus Mitchell, Sr. was called as the eleventh Pastor of Mount Gilead. We continue to journey forward.